We only have 24 hours a day to spend, and we can only do limited activities within a day. When you have a lot to do, it becomes very important to allocate your time wisely in order to get as many things done as possible.
How you manage time is a very useful tool for your academic, personal, and professional successes. In fact, it is one of the most common qualifications your potential employers are looking for. Now is the perfect time to practice and master your time management skills!
- Make a to-do list and have it visible.
- Plan ahead by setting yourself goals and deadlines.
- Write down important dates (work shifts, bill payments, expiry date for your study permit, etc.) before you forget.
- Ask yourself questions like: “What needs to be done at school or in general today/this week?” “When do I need to finish them?” “How much time do I have to finish them?”
- Chunk your task and tackle small things (e.g. write one paragraph in a day instead of a whole essay)
- Be mindful of how much time you have within your particular timeframe. Be flexible.
- Remove distractions like your phone, game, TV or social media
- Have your agenda or calendar close to you
If you are not sure where to start, The Learning Portal also has various tips for time management. Download their free worksheets such as their assessment tracker and weekly calendar and start using them!
If you have questions or would like to discuss this topic, feel free to email Asuka (email@example.com) from Student Services.